The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, July 07, 2003

BUDDY, BUDDY AND BARRY
They say bad news comes in threes. I especially take note of that maxim whenever celebrities die. So it was this past week:

June 30th: Borscht Belt comedian Buddy Hackett.
July 4th: Ultra-bass love master Barry White.
July 6th: Veteran film and TV actor Buddy Ebsen.

The one that shocked me the most was Barry White. I didn't even know he was sick. The night of July 4th, while I was having dinner in a restaurant, I saw plenty of video of him performing on a muted television screen. I just assumed he was doing some holiday concert. It wasn't until the end of the night that I found out he had departed.

I also have to admit that I was surprised Ebsen hadn't already died years ago.

No real reaction to Hackett's death.

I know it's morbid, but I feel there's some rich comedic ore to be mined from these triple-death-groupings. Something about death being the great equalizer; I just naturally start drawing comparisons between the individuals, and note their disparities too.

I think the first time I took real note of this was several years back, when three musicians with completely divergent styles all died on or about the same day: Falco (of "Amadeus" fame), the lead guitarist from slash-metal band Slayer, and some big-band leader. It just struck me as comical irony...