The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, July 23, 2003

BABY NAME NOMINATIONS!
My friend Tom and his wife Amber have just found out that they'll be having a little baby girl in around six months. The fun begins!

Tom tells me that they had a bunch of choice names in mind for a boy, but not for a girl. So he's asking, I think somewhat tongue-in-cheek, for suggestions for girl names. Talk about being careful over what you wish for...

Maybe he should do like Morty Fineman did in The Independent, and run a "Name My Baby!" contest. Of course, his baby boy ended up with the name "Rat Fuck", so it's a dicey proposition. That's democracy for you!

Back to reality. First thing that comes to my mind: Since "A" is for Amber, and "T" is for Tom, it makes a certain amount of sense to zero in on the letter in the English alphabet that's mid-way between those two; that would be the letter "J". Plenty of possibilities there: Jennifer (which I like, and is the name of Tommy's sister, which would make her happy), Jessica (another favorite of mine), Julia, Janet, Joanne, Jill... and so on.

So, I'll open it up to the blog-reading peanut gallery. Any suggestions, serious or otherwise, comment below, please.