The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, June 28, 2003

T-MOBILE SIDEKICK: GAME OVER
Speak of the Devil. Just a day after I posited that games might soon no longer be included as built-in freebies on cellphones, news that T-Mobile will be deleting the games off its Sidekick PDA device via remote firmware update comes up as a precursor.

The reason for this move is over licensing fees. I'm not sure how real the threat is that's being extrapolated from all this. For instance, Damien Barrett seems to think that this would allow a wireless carrier to erase everything off a device, including the critical address book. Check out the comments for word (unsubstantiated by me) that you can opt out of this auto-update.

I guess this could be a preview of things to come. I myself submitted to a firmware update to my cellphone just a couple of days ago; it was supposed to improved the reception. I haven't noticed a change, and I haven't noticed any other effects.