The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, June 21, 2003

SPIKE TV SAGA CONTINUES
Like I said, just adopt a black cat as the new mascot and put an end to it. That looks like the best recourse to me for the mess that The National Network/Spike TV has become. Now, the injunction against its name change can't be challenged until September, which may or may not alter Viacom's plans.

Interesting how the spin here is that they're pushing ahead with the rebranding as a concept, sans the name label. Between this controversy and their promo spots, it might work; I know I've been noticing their new push campaign. The revival of Ren and Stimpy certainly gets my vote of approval, although I'm a bit wary. At least it appears that John Kricfalusi is back on board.

I found this interesting:

Even some people at Viacom who don’t particularly like the name believe anger over the court decisions has solidified internal commitment to Spike TV.


Funny how Lee's challenge would galvanize the network. A seige mentality in television marketing? A funny twist.