The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, June 05, 2003

PLAYING WITH MY IPOD
mypod
Well, I'm finally ready to roll with the iPod I won on eBay a month ago. It took a while to actually get here, then I had to order a FireWire card for my PC. Delays, delays... but I got the FireWire card in today's mail, so all the pieces are finally in place.

So far, I'm less than impressed with the FireWire transfer rate. It's slooooooooow. I just plug-and-played the card, without looking to make any adjustments, so perhaps I can tweak it. Or it might be that this is as fast as it can go. It's not a huge deal, because I don't anticipate doing a whole lot of transferring on and off the iPod. But still, speed would be nice.

I'm happy to say that the iPod itself is working just fine. Sounds great! It'll pretty much be my stereo system, I'm thinking.

Here's a weird thing: When I read the iPod disk through Windows Explorer, I discovered there were a handful of songs already on the iPod, yet I couldn't access those songs directly off the iPod. I wonder how this is possible. I haven't tried to play them or shift them to my hard drive yet, but they appear to be regular run-of-the-mill mp3s. Strange.