The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, June 15, 2003

LINUX INSTALLING, CACTUS REPOTTING
Earlier today I took a crack at doing two things that, I think, could not be more unlike one another. One was installing Linux onto an ancient (circa 1996) Macintosh Performa 6360CD. The other was repotting a little cactus plant (my only remaining houseplant, as I ditched the others) into a larger pot.

Guess which procedure went smoother?

The cactus thing was a snap. I was worried I'd prick myself bad when doing the actual transplant, but it turned out to not be a problem. As long as you handle the plant carefully, you won't get stabbed. Hopefully, the thing has plenty of room to root out now and get nice and big. I just hope the soil is right for it; seems too rich for a plant that requires so little water. But I don't know much about plants except how to kill them, so what the heck am I talking about?

The Linux install... sheesh. It's been a pain from day one. As it turns out, the Mac doesn't have some utility programs on it that, these days, are considered fundamental. What I'm missing, at the moment, is Stuffit. A version that works with System 7.6.1, mind you. And that I can get onto a computer that has no Web access (it has a modem, but it'd be a nightmare to get it set up). In order to avoid driving myself up a wall over it, I've confined my fiddlings with that Mac strictly to free Sunday mornings, and only a couple of hours at a time. I figure I'll make a Linux machine out of that thing in, oh, another couple of months or so.