The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, June 17, 2003

JAVA CODING YOUR CELLPHONE
It's no secret that the "phones" we carry around in our pockets and purses are behaving more and more like handheld computers. I'm not talking about just PDA/phone combos either; let's face it, even a no-frills Nokia is packed with plenty of computing power for trinkets like an address book, notepad and a videogame or two. And with all that, there's still room for more.

So fire up that Java coder and start hacking into your cellphone, you geek aspirant you. Just don't come running to me when you fry the CPU and have to junk the phone.

Pretty fun stuff. I'm not sure I need to convert my phone into an all-purpose diagnostic tool and utility, but it's an intriguing idea. As it happens, I'm going to be buying a new phone shortly (my contract is running out, and I might as well get a new phone, as I don't really like the one I've got). I've decided I'm going to go fairly basic on the new model, though, so even if I were inclined, I don't think I'd be able to monkey with it. Using the old phone as a guinea pig is one idea, but I doubt I'll be capable of loading anything onto it.