The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, June 11, 2003

COMPUTERS AND CLASSROOMS
Oh, to be a kid in grade school again. Especially in modern-day Maine, where, of all places, the public school system is a pioneer in equipping students with individual computers, thus transforming their learning experience.

Sheesh. I feel positively ancient. When I think of what I used when I was in school: Paper, pencils, outdated textbooks... might as well have been sticks and stones at Bedrock Elementary School, fercryingoutloud.

Still, this is heartening, especially the value that parents and lawmakers put on keeping the computers in class. I wonder if the students are allowed to take the Powerbooks home? Probably not; although how would all the kids be able to do their homework assignments (presumably not all the kids' families would have computers)?

I'm also a bit surprised that those are Apple notebooks they're using. The education market has traditionally been one of Apple's strongholds, but I though Wintel machines had been making strong headway, especially on something like this. It's a good sign.