The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, June 11, 2003

BEWARE THE MAN WITH THREE NAMES
I don't know why this came to mind. Sometime in the mid-1980s, I was watching some lame sitcom; all I remember about it is it involved a single woman and her snooty butler(?) and that it was cancelled after a small handful of shows (which makes its persistence in my memory banks even more remarkable). At the end of one episode, the butler offered the woman some advice (paraphrasing somewhat here):

Butler: A wise man once said, "Never trust a man who has three names".
Woman: Who said that?
Butler: Sugar Ray Leonard.


Ba-DUM-bum.

I realize that quote has been around for a while. I'm not motivated enough right now to track down who originally said it (if you'd like to enlighten me, comment away). I thought it was a good joke when I was a kid, and I still think it's a good one. Looking back, this joke may have been my first real exposure to ironic humor, and so helped shape my funny bone into what it is today.