The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, June 23, 2003

BACK HOME
Nothing like getting back home. Could have done without the rainstorm that greeted my return, but still.

It's funny. The second I stepped through the door, I was very much at ease. Relaxed, and ready to decompress (decompose?) from what was, at best, a pretty boring weekend, punctuated with short, stressful moments. As far as visits to the familial hometown go, this one was far from the worst. But the thing is, it was just so crushingly dull.

I really have forgotten how little there is to do in a small town like that. There's not even a movie theather in town anymore--you have to go to the next town over for this little 8-screen multiplex! Unbelievable. My cousin did take me to the waterfront bar scene, and that was alright (the non-stop rainy weather kept the crowds lower than what they normally would be on a Friday night), but hardly a hot, happening scene.

Beyond all that, I just couldn't shake the feeling that I was out of my element, and just couldn't get comfortable, no matter what. I love my relatives, but really, I don't feel like I belong there anymore. Really, I'm not sure I ever felt like I belonged there.

Oh well. Back to business around here. Looking forward to this week: Work, some partying, and a bachelor party this weekend (crossing my fingers that the weather is good--it's going to involve a lot of beach-crawling!).