The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Friday, May 16, 2003

OFFICE DYNAMICS
It's funny how people in office buildings interact. Over the last couple of days, I've bumped into one of my co-workers frequently: In the hallway, in the bathroom, by the elevators, etc. Prior to this, I'd see this guy, maybe, once a week--and that's only because my office area is somewhat close to his. All of a sudden, I'm running into him like 4-5 times a day. Weird.

This really seemed odd because I was wondering about another co-worker who's in a separate department (Web Publishing). I used to see him frequently in the hallways, etc. for months. It just occurred to me earlier this week that I hadn't seen any sign of him in a couple of months now. I was even wondering if he might have left the company (that's the thing about working in a big building, you sometimes don't realize that someone's gone until well after the fact).

There are plenty of familiar faces I see every morning and every evening in my office building. Some people I know on a first-name basis; most of them, I don't. But we develop some sort of weird quasi-relationship, based solely on passing each other in the halls, riding up the elevator, seeing each other in the cafeteria, and so on. Such is the life of an office denizen, I guess.

As it is, there is a certain gorgeous co-worker who I can't help but notice lately, and would like to move from having a quasi-relationship to a more substantial one. What's more, call me crazy, but I could swear that, lately, she's been giving me the eye. As luck would have it, I didn't run into her the last couple of days, else I would've tried striking up a conversation (gasp!) with her. I'm crossing my fingers for next week. She's too attractive for there to be any hope of her being available, but you never know...