The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, May 21, 2003

DARTH RUPERT AND HIS DIGITAL DEATH STAR
i am your father
The image you see here is of my own making. I know it's a clumsy job; I'm no Michaelangelo. If you want to swipe the pic and improve on it, be my guest.

The inspiration is the much-traveled headline that accompanies the AlterNet article that decries the upcoming dismantling of the FCC media regulations while Rupert Murdoch attempts to close his long-sought DirecTV acquisition. "Digital Death Star" is a catchy phrase; I have a feeling it'll take on a life of its own.

As for the arguments made by AlterNet writer Jeffrey Chester... They're a little off the deep end. The premise is that Murdoch's motivation for getting DirecTV--a deal he's tried to consummate for years now--is to extend a right-wing political agenda. Sorry, no. No question, News Corp. has been pushing Fox News to the hilt, but that's because it's making money. That's all that matters to moguls like Murdoch. If the public mood swerved tomorrow, he'd put Fox News on a liberal track in no time. Are there political overtones? Of course, but there are political overtones in everything.

I guess this article highlights how scared shitless the left is of Fox News' quick rise to popularity. I'd like to see what this story would read like if the head of News Corp. were outspokenly liberal.