The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, May 28, 2003

AIRPORT AUCTION
Oh, the bargains you'll find at an abandoned property auction at your nearest airport!

I always mean to go to one of these kinds of auctions, not necessarily to buy anything, but just to see what they're like. I think what's keeping me away is the fear that I'll get caught up in the action, bid on anything just to say I did, and wind up shelling out cash for something completely useless.

The article engages in a lot of head-scratching over the number of cars that are abandoned at the airport. What's the mystery? It makes perfect sense for someone who's leaving town for good to just dump off the car in the airport parking lot. Sure, it would make more sense to sell it beforehand and get some money. But I'm sure there are many instances when someone has to get out of town quick-fast-in-a-hurry, unexpectedly (running from the law, a psycho spouse, etc.), and the options narrow. Likewise, you'll probably find a good number of abandoned vehicles at bus and train depots.