The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, April 23, 2003

VIACOM'S COMEDY CENTRAL DEAL: WHITHER CONAN?
ha
In a story that was equal parts about Viacom and AOL Time Warner, Viacom ended up buying AOLTW's share of the Comedy Central channel. For AOLTW, it's about cashing out for a little over a billion bones so that it can pay down some massive debt. For Viacom, it's a chance to add to it's extensive media holdings, and maybe the start of a shopping spree.

I watch Comedy Central quite a bit. I'm not particularly worried it's going to change much. But I wonder: What might this mean for the Late Night with Conan O'Brien day-after rebroadcasts that the network currently airs? After all, Viacom has a direct competitor to Conan in Craig Kilborn. I'm guessing that if the ratings for the day-after Conan are weak or getting there, they'll ditch it and perhaps replace it with Kilborn. Bummer.