The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, April 15, 2003

SPIKE!
In a move that's been anticipated for months (and that I riffed on a little while back), TNN--the former and still-thought-of The Nashville Network--is ditching it's intials, and name altogether, and is being remade as Spike, the all-male network.

Like I said before, the "TNN" had to go. I think it's idiotic that Viacom was so insistent on keeping those initials in the first place. Just what sort of cache did they really think they had in those letters, anyway? You'd think a sustained period of ratings slide would drive the point home, and it did, eventually.

And yet, note this little bit of info, which I'm thinking was more of a spur to finally shove through the revamp:

The switch also enables TNN, and parent company Viacom, a chance to outmaneuver the publishers of Maxim magazine. Dennis Publishing is developing a cable channel called the Maxim Entertainment Network, or MEN.