The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, April 20, 2003

NOT MY EASTER
So, today's Easter Sunday, right? Happy... Messiah, I guess.

Although there were plenty of ways to point out my otherness while growing up, I think the Easter holiday was the one thing that really drove it home. As a Greek Orthodox Christian, I went to a church that observed a different date for Easter. Not only that, but the Orthodox strain of Easter hops (pun intended!) around the calendar every year, for some fool reason: Anytime between the end of March and the beginning of May, I think (I really don't care enough to pay attention). So, while the rest of the world would celebrate the holiday around the same time every year, I'd either have already gone through the motions a couple of weeks earlier or be waiting to do so later.

So, the result of this non-holidaytime for me was in, probably for the first time, feeling some empathy for the Jewish kids at school who also had to put up with supposedly secularized holidays that had nothing to do with them. I think it drives home that, no matter how many Easter bunnies and Frosty the Snowmen you inject into these things, you can't get away from the fact that, at the core, we do live in a solidly Christian (and specifically, Protestant) society. It's not suffocatingly so, but there it is.

This year, Greek Easter will roll around next Sunday. Not that I plan to do anything for it. I suppose if I really wanted to pull a religious trump card, I could take a day off from work either prior or after this weekend. In fact, I'm looking to take Friday off anyway, but it's not for any religious reasons--I just want a day off to relax. The only thing to signify the holiday will be a parcel from my Mom, with some baked goodies.