The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, April 14, 2003

KOSHER COCA-COLA
mazel tov
While in the grocery store yesterday, I noticed a shelf devoted entirely to Coca-Cola products, but not in the usual beverage section. Looking closer, I saw a few signs with Hebrew script on the shelves, and then realized that this Coke was specially kosher-ized for the Passover season.

I found this discovery curious, because I thought I had heard that Coke was kosher anyway. Turns out that, for Passover purposes, it's not, and there's a neat story behind the establishment of the Passover-worthy version of The Real Thing. In addition to the signifying "K" or "U", a Jewish coworker informed me that a yellow bottlecap is another visual identifier of bottles that contain this special brew of Coke.

Alas, any time Judaism and industry converge, there's no shortage of whackos out there ready to dredge up the fictious Zionist Conspiracy. In this case, it's centered around the concept of "the secret kosher tax that raises food prices".