The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, March 16, 2003

YOU ARE GETTING SLEEPY
I get around six-and-a-half hours of sleep per night. I've averaged this amount through most of my twenties, and I've convinced myself that this is my optimum amount of sleep--any more, and I'm actually more tired than if I had less sleep. It's even to the point where when I try to sleep in on weekends or on a day off, I find I can't. I just sleep more than around seven hours until I automatically wake up.

I'm aware it's a crock. I need a lot more sleep than I actually get, and I can feel it when I get tired practically every evening. Unfortunately, it's hard to crack out of a lifestyle you're used to. Plus, I never take naps, because they tend to tire me more than they refresh me (at least that's my perception).

In any case, I'm far from the only one who accumulates a sleep debt. What's more, chronic under-sleeping takes its toll in terms of lessening of mental sharpness and productivity. I guess we're all sleepwalking zombies, eh?