The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, March 12, 2003

NORMAN LEAR AND SOUTH PARK
quiet mountain town
Could it be? Is it possible that television legend Norman Lear will be writing episodes of South Park? Yup, apparently he will.

I think the tone of most media reports on this will be along the lines of "how could Lear lower himself to this?". To which I say: Screw you, hippie!

South Park was probably the last regularly-scheduled television show I ever watched religiously. I felt it really started to slip the last couple of years, with below-average writing and, increasingly, copout endings. I haven't watched the new episodes much. Still, it's probably heads and shoulders above the rest of the crap out there. And I have an affinity for the characters: Sound bites from Stan, Kyle and Cartman (sorry, Kenny) abound on my home and work computers. Plus, I own South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut, and various show trinkets.

As for Lear, you can see from his IMDB entry that he hasn't done a lot of work these past twenty years. What's the last notable thing he produced, 704 Hauser Street (which was cancelled after like 4 episodes) ten years ago? So, this is a good chance for him to get back into the game. I doubt the show will really change much, if at all, as a result of him getting writing credits, however.