The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, March 12, 2003

NO MORE MOVIE PREVIEWS?
Loyal readers of this space may recall the class action suit being brought against the Loews theater chain over excessive pre-movie advertising, and my habit of showing up several minutes after the announced screening time to avoid said advertising.

Well, funny thing. The last time I went to the theater (last week, in fact), I noticed that I got in just after the main feature had started. In other words, either no or very little junk before the show started. Weird, huh?

It gets weirder: A couple of coworkers also went to the movies this past weekend, and they confirmed that there were no, repeat NONE, movie trailers or ads before the start of their films. The movies just started at their announced start times. Imagine!

So, what's going on? Is this happening just in my neck of the woods, at select theaters? Or is it also happening elsewhere? And either way, why? Are theater owners worried about the class-action suit, and so are taking preventative measures? I wouldn't think they'd be able to make that call--isn't playing trailers and such part of the deal in getting major film releases to show? Not to mention that ads are a big revenue source. Questions, questions.

In any case, if trailers and ads are gone from our moviegoing experience, I'll just sit back and imagine that I had something to do with it. Heavy, baby.