The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, March 19, 2003

IS THE FUTURE WIRELESS?
Wi-fi is all the rage among techies. Everything from mobile phones to Internet-enabled cars signal the coming of an everything-always-connected world.

Is this a good thing? Some people think so, to the point where they can envision taking instant messages and emails in the middle of meetings and business travel. Oh yeah, that'd be real productive: Trying to communicate with someone while they're screwing around on the computer. Like the average meeting isn't unproductive enough.

I think the whole thing is overblown. There are definite drawbacks to being constantly reachable. I know people who've uninstalled their instant messaging programs; after the novelty wears off, it can be a drag to get online and be bombarded every minute. I definitely relish my alone time; that's why I'll let the phone ring, or let email sit in my inbox (on occasion).