The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, March 15, 2003

FRENCH ON MY CHEST
So I'm having lunch yesterday with a few friends. We're shooting the breeze about everything and nothing at once, generally trying to outdo one another. As our food starts to come to the table, I bring up the topic of freedom fries, because I just cannot get enough of them. This launches us into a foreign policy debate, with everyone considering the other one an idiot. Business as usual.

After polishing off my chicken wings, I excuse myself to go wash up. As I'm returning to the table, my friend Tom points out that I've got a French slogan on my t-shirt, and wonders if I didn't do it as political statement, or at least to stir up some low-level trouble. This was crucial, because three of us (we all got the day off from work, woo-hoo!) were going to a spring training baseball game right after lunch.

You know, that sounds like me. But for the life of me, a motive didn't cross my mind--and I found myself surprised that it didn't. I even remember a minor dilemma in deciding which t-shirt to wear for the afternoon, and I decided on that one just because it seemed to be the right color. Even though French antics and backlash were on my mind the last few days, I didn't even consider my ownership of this $10 shirt.

Honestly, I don't think I'm risking anything wearing it. No one at the ballgame took notice. Things would have to get much more heated between us and the French for something like that to bat an eye, even if someone were looking for trouble. But, it was something that gave me pause.

For the record, the slogan on my t-shirt says, "Laissez les bons temps rouler!". Give yourself a pat on le back if you know what that means, and for the heck of if, say so in the comments link below.