The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, March 19, 2003

CATFIGHTS SELL! RIGHT?
take it off!
If you've watched any TV at all these past 3-4 months, you've seen the Miller Lite girl catfight commercial (Quicktime required). I know I did... Ahem. Where was I?

The point is, I don't even drink that piss-water they like to call beer, and it got my attention. It got my full attention, including the tongue-in-cheek nature of two guys shooting the breeze over the perfect beer commercial while their girlfriends look on, appalled. Naturally, those who are easily jolted (one way or the other) over titilating images will focus on just the boobies.

I have to admit that, despite the eyecatching nature of it, I didn't think this ad was anything all that special. But it appears that the buzz inside the advertising/marketing industry is that it represents a broken barrier. Miller Brewing has earned something a bad-boy reputation from this, and everyone expects it to keep rolling with this type of "outrageousness".

Sorry, I don't see it. How is this commercial so radically different from everything else out there? It's not like Miller invented the notion of sex selling beer; the examples are too numerous to list. I just didn't pick up on anything new and exciting coming as a result of two hot chicks rasslin' in a fountain. But maybe it's just me.