The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, February 11, 2003

TERRORISM STRIKES HOME
Unless your head has been under a rock the past, oh, couple of years, you'll know that there's a heightened awareness of anti-U.S. terrorism these days. And every purported recording of a certain expatriate Saudi richboy draws heaps of attention. In such a jittery atmosphere, you've got to expect, at the least, an occasional wrinkle or two in the daily routine.

So it is with me and my life in sunny St. Petersburg. In the wake of the recent Code Orange alert, I found a letter taped to my front door when I got home this evening. The gist of it was that apartment complexes, one of which I live in, are the types of places al-Quaeda has targeted as "soft" targets. So, I need to keep my eyes and ears open.

Am I worried? Can't say I am, any more than I'd be walking down the street or flying in a plane. It's a dangerous world, and was even before 9/11. But I must say this note was a first for me. Definitely memorable.