The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, February 04, 2003

MP3, THE DRINK
So, a couple of nights ago, I'm having dinner with friends at a restaurant on one of the area beaches. This little drink placard on the table catches my eye. There are two drinks featured on it: One is the mojito, that old-time Cubano treat (which I actually wanted, but the waiter fed me some bull line about it being unavailable). The other drink was some blending of orange-flavored rum, pinapple juice, orange juice and lime (I wish I could remember the exact mixture). It was the name that caught my eye: the MP3.

Yep, the digital file format that's been the scourge of the entertainment industry, and the hands-down favorite of savvy music fans, has now been immortalized as a cocktail! Wacky, wild stuff.

The drink was alright. I usually don't go for sweet, fruity drinks, or even rum-based ones generally. But it was okay.

One thing, though: I payed about $4 for it. Four bucks for an MP3?? Shit, since when does anyone actually pay for an MP3?? ;)