The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, January 16, 2003

YES, WE'LL HAVE NO BANANAS
ripe!
Savor that next banana split, boyo, because according to those who should know, 'nanners as we know them are heading for extinction.

To tell the truth, this story set my bullshit detector off right away. It just doesn't seem very plausible. But the banana-expert organization cited does indeed seem to exist (not that a website in and of itself proves anything), and enough news outlets are picking this up, through the right channels, that I guess there's something to this. Who knew?

Maybe I'm suspicious because this reminds me so much of the extinction of the blondes hoax. The color yellow, and all. But I wouldn't be surprised if this one turned out to be fishy, too.

In a more serious note, the genetic engineering aspect of this is fascinating. I could easily go on for a while about how cloning and other genetic advances have the potential to eliminate the concerns over the endangerment and extinction of species, both animal and plant--and what implications that would have for all of us. Maybe later.