The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, January 12, 2003

WHY THE INTERNET WAS CREATED
What an age we live in! I just now, a couple of minutes ago, ordered a pizza online. Did it through Pizza Hut's site. I think this act signifies me as either a super-cool cutting-edger, or an insufferable geek. Or maybe both.

I gotta admit, I'm very much attracted to anything that takes place in cyberland. I've shifted almost all of my bill-paying--including the electric, phone and cable bills--to online processes. It's just sooooo much easier to not deal with the paper, stamps, and so on. I've found it to be a godsend.

On the pizza front, the Hut is playing it smart. The registration process is pretty quick and pain-free, and they throw a bunch of Internet-only coupons/discounts at you as incentives. And perhaps most effectively, the plug the online-ordering option to you while you're on hold when calling in your order on the phone (how 20th-century! :). Smart moves.

Update: It looks like pizza-delivery-through-the-Web technology needs some refinement. The pie got here in about 40 minutes, like they said. However, instead of the toppings I requested--green peppers, mushrooms, sausage, and extra cheese--I got a pizza with only extra cheese. Dagnabit!

Normally, I'd have called them up and made a stink about it. However, I was hungry, didn't feel like waiting another hour for the next delivery, and I'm fine with just cheese (with a sprinkle of garlic powder and other seasonings, added by me). So I ate it, failed experiment and all.