The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, January 07, 2003

REALITY CHECK: AN AVERAGE JOE, OR...?
Well, the reviews are in, and I'm glad to see that my opinions on Joe Millionaire are not just my own. Like I said, it's hard to believe this premise is going to sustain itself for more than one night (although I guess seven episodes isn't such a long time).

This article does, however, give me some information to chew on. Mainly, that Mr. Joe Millionaire may not be what he appears to be, and not on just the obvious level. Allow me to explain:

This guy's real name is Evan Marriott. Marriott is not that common of a name. One of the uncommon families that happen to have that name is the famous, fabulously wealthy Marriott clan that controls the huge-mongous Marriott International hotel empire. We're talking major moula there, folks. I think it's a bit too much of a coincidence.

Here's what I think: Fox is planning a double-cross on the audience. They'll run the show right to the very end, then "reveal" to the woman who wins that her millionaire is a $19,000-a-year construction worker, then wait for her to fall apart. Then, after she does the predictably backslide performance and all... they'll reveal that SURPRISE AGAIN, the real truth is that the guy really is a millionaire after all! A real no-one-saw-THAT-coming for everybody to revel in.

Gee, all of a sudden, I can't wait to see what happens now.