The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, January 09, 2003

MY BIG FAT GREEK ETHNICITY
By now, everyone knows about My Big Fat Greek Wedding, that little movie that could. It's gained fans all over the place with its funny, quirky look at the inner workings of an old-world family, and how it reacts when an outsider enters the picture. And of course, it's a feel-good love story, about how the plain-jane girl eventually has a fairy tale ending.

I'm Greek. I've never seen this movie. I'm not sure I ever will.

I could write a veritable book going into the reasons behind my severe distaste for having a version of my life splayed across the screens of North America (and now, the world). But maybe another time. For now, I think I'll let this article about the curious reaction of European Greeks to the "Big Fat" phenomenon speak for me; it's actually pretty close to my thinking (although not quite).

More bad news: there's a television series based on the movie on the way. The torture never ends!