The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, January 15, 2003

MUSICAL PHONES
Who would've guessed that the mobile phone industry's killer app would turn out to be the ability to play Britney Spears' latest single as a ringtone? That appears to be the case, as the sale of specialized ringtones netted the wireless companies a cool $1 billion in 2002.

I've noticed the proliferation of these things myself. It can get a little grating, but do whatcha like. And as long as they continue to make accessing (downloading through the phone) and paying for these things so easy and cheap, I can see why they've taken off and will continue to do so. I really don't see that much upside for the music companies, though, other than using these things as promotional items. But who knows what the future holds, eh?

My phone's not equipped for this joviality. But you'd better believe, when I get my next model, I'll be looking forward to being alerted to my next incoming call to the immortal strains of Nelly's Hot In Here.