The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, January 15, 2003

IS GOOGLE CRACKING?
The acknowledged 800-pound gorilla in Internet search engines is Google. That it has been able to achieve this position in such a relatively short period of time is remarkable (although, it should be noted that its ascension was helped by the fact that long-timers like Yahoo! and Excite basically ceded the territory in favor of morphing into more broad-based "portals").

But how long will this monkey reign? Already, there are signs of Google's supremacy being challenged on several fronts. It'll be interesting to see this shake out.

I've said before, as good as it is, I always considered Google to be quite a bit overrated. For a professional researcher--which is what I am about 80% of the time at my job--a lot of things about the search interface, query abilities, and rank criteria Google uses leaves much to be desired.