The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, January 19, 2003

HALLELUJAH! NEW COMIC STRIPS
I'm very happy to report that my hometown newspaper (Florida's best they say, but I'm biased) is giving its comics lineup a very long-overdue overhaul. Us readers will be getting a gander at 10 contenders over a 10-week period; first up is Zits. In an effort to closely acquaint readers with the new candidates, they're running interview profiles with each strip's writers and/or artists.

I'm not sure how many new strips will actually come in, and which old ones will depart. I'd like to see several leave, like Cathy, Gasoline Alley, Snuffy Smith and other wastes of space; as it is, I habitually skip over about half the strips they currently run. But, from past experience, the audience in this area has some peculiar (read: BAD) tastes, and I'm sure there'll still be plenty of sucky strips still running after this redo. But at least we'll be getting something new, and (hopefully) fresh.