The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, December 31, 2002

TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE, RIGHT?
do i have to actually say it??
Never let it be said that there's an upper limit in the arena of frivolous lawsuits. I suppose I could write at length on about a dozen a day. This one really caught my eye, though. A fellow who legally changed his name to "Jack Ass" is suing the MTV show of the same name for allegedly demeaning him and his life work. Apparently, Mr. Ass here adopted his new moniker after nearly being killed in a drunk driving accident (it obviously gave him some sort of brain damage, though), and subsequently went on a mission to educate people on the dangers of drunk driving.

Y'know, I never do this, but at this time, I'd like to send a personal message to Jack:

Hey, FUCK HEAD (try legally changing your name to that, as it seems even more suitable). There's a reason why the term "jackass" is used as an insult. The folks at MTV understood this, which is why they gave the show that title. Apparently, this nuance escapes you. The snickers you're getting aren't because of some fool stunt Johnny Knoxville showcased; it's because you named yourself after a universally-accepted put-down term. But, on the plus side, this idiot lawsuit does reinforce that you richly deserve the name.

In the way of a disclaimer: I'm not a fan of Jackass, either in TV or movie form. I've never seen the movie, and I don't think I've ever seen an episode of the show. I group it generally with other low-input reality shows. I can see the humor in it, but it's not really my bag, baby.