The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Friday, December 13, 2002

PLECO THE POOPSTER
such a pretty fish
Another in a series of stupid fish tricks... My bristlenose pleco has taken to hiding under the same rocks that my rainbow shark does. Plecos are notorious poop machines--they seem to shit more than the average fish, and their feces comes out in long strings that get EVERYWHERE. Sometimes I peek into that tank first thing in the morning, and I swear it looks like some little vandal had spent the night toilet-papering the interior, as if it were Halloween.

So anyway, I changed out some of the water earlier this evening (a weekly ritual), and I decided to shift some of the rocks around. I lift up a small rock in one corner, and underneath it there's an unimaginable amount of pleco shit! Totally disgusting. I had to put the water vacuum back in to clean it all out. As it is, I think I'll have to do another water change later this weekend to clean the rest of it up.

Such is the drill of aquarium keeping.