The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, December 16, 2002

MUSIC ON THE NOGGIN'
You know how you get a song stuck in your head, and it may even be a song that you hate, and yet try as you might, you just cannot get it to stop echoing in your skull?

Oh... you don't? Well.... Then I guess you wouldn't be interested in knowing about the research that's revealed how the brain interacts with music, and why.

A co-worker of mine has an interesting way to "cure" oneself of the catchy-tune syndrome. She claims that whenever she's thusly afflicted, she starts to think about the theme song to Sanford and Son. Those distinctive rhythms seem to overpower any other music that attaches itself to her brain. I've tried that method myself; as much as I love Redd Foxx, I can't say it's worked for me.