The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Friday, December 06, 2002

JERRY SPRINGER THE OPERA
it ain't over 'til the fat lady... shows her ass
In what may be the perfect fusion of art and reality... and art, The Jerry Springer Show has been adapted into, yes, an opera. We can thank the good people in the UK, specifically at The Edinburgh Fringe Festival, for this tour de force.

The reviews are in, and they like it (I agree with the concept that it should have been executed as a musical instead of an opera; but hey, it's Britain). With the show now heading for the big time with a London premiere in 2003, can a stateside debut be too far away? I think not.

What is it about the Brits and Jerry Springer? They just can't get enough of him over there. I suppose it's as fascinating, and probably more so, for them as it is for the legions of fans in the U.S. Then again, it may be because Springer is, by birth, one of them! I just found out, through a brief bio, that the former mayor of Cincinnati was in fact born in London during World War II (and that's probably the least interesting thing about his amazing life). In light of this, I'm surprised that Springer didn't make the list of all-time top Britons.

Among the showstoppers in The Opera are:

*a diaper fetishist confessing all to his true love
*a dance routine by the Ku Klux Klan
*Jesus launching into a swearing tirade against the Devil

Yes, yes, yes, I know exactly what you're thinking, because I'm thinking it too: I ABSOLUTELY MUST SEE THIS OPERA!!