The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, December 22, 2002

THE FENG SHUI BUNCH
so THAT'S the way they all became
While the ancient Chinese art of feng shui is only now making news in this half of the world, it appears to have been implanted into our collective consciousness years ago. None other than perennial syndication favorite The Brady Bunch exercised the fundamental principles of the Lo Shu square formula. But you already knew that, right?

To tell you the truth, this revelation actually sours me on the whole feng shui thing. I mean, are we supposed to take the Brady house as an exemplar of balanced home life? Consider: There were six kids crammed into two bedrooms and sharing one bathroom; the live-in maid was forced to sleep in a linen closet (or something, I don't think we ever saw Alice's bedroom); and the family dog just flat out disappears with no explanation. And I hasten to add, the man of the house was an architect, for God's sake.