The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, December 14, 2002

ALIEN LIFE FORM, AKA GORDON SHUMWAY
hey willie!
The show is long gone, but ALF himself is still zooming across the television airwaves, thanks to collect-calling commercials (quick aside: who the hell even makes collect calls?).

I wasn't a fan of the show when it originally aired, and even watching the odd rerun, it's apparent what a crapfest it was. The puppet is truly the only thing it had going for it.

But I tell ya, there's something about the way they manipulated ALF's movements and facial expressions; pure comedy. And the bullseye was his voice: the cadence and delivery of the lines was just the some of the funniest stuff I've ever heard, and never failed to get a chuckle out of me.

It still works, too: In his latest commercial appearance, when ALF delivers his opinion of Hulk Hogan's poetry with the line, "Me think-eth / That stink-eth!", well sir, I just find myself smiling.