The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, November 11, 2002

TROPICAL ENGLAND?
Mangoes, olive trees and bananas growing wild in the south of England? That's what's in store 80 years from now, according to a new study on changing global climate conditions.

Two things: It's sort of amusing, in a way, how matter-of-factly this news item is presented. It's not in panic mode, as you might expect over such a drastic atmospheric change. It puts forward the findings in a ho-hum sort of way, and even proposes that it's just something that people will adapt to (especially garden growers). Weird.

The other thing is, isn't this in a similar vein to other forecasts that have predicted huge changes in climate, only to turn out to be bunk later? I mean, the doomsayers in the 70s were predicting that pollution levels would bring about poisonous oceans and dirty air so bad that gasmasks would be required equipment on a daily basis. I doubt I'll still be around 80 years from now, but even so, I'll reserve my panic until a time when I see this sort of thing come about.