The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Friday, November 15, 2002

THE RULES OF PAGE-PROOFING
Bummer. I just bought a copy of Bret Easton Ellis' The Rules of Attraction at a clearance sale at work (the newspaper gets tons of review copies all year, and every so often they have employee-only sales to get rid of the stuff and throw some money to charity). I loved the movie, so I was looking forward to re-experiencing the story through the book.

I was reading through it earlier today at a brisk pace--a very quick read--and enjoying it immensely. Then, I saw that page 30 jumped to page 64. Huh? No pages were torn out, but there was a 30-page gap. I first wondered if it was intentional, that the author or publisher was playing around with the book's structure. But flipping through the rest of the book, I could see that wasn't the case. The pages were just missing!

So, bottom line, I got hosed. Looks like the copy I got was a fouled-up printing, possibly an unproofed next-to-final edition. Damn. I guess I ought to buy another copy, or hit the library.