The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, November 13, 2002

NOW JUST A MANUTE...
stylish in yellow
Now this is what I'm talkin' about. The one and only Manute Bol, the former NBA star who retired in 1995 as the league's leading career shot blocker, has signed on to play hockey with the Indianapolis Ice of the Central Hockey League. I cannot wait to see the video highlights on ESPN from his first game action.

This quite a journey for the 40-year-old Bol, who was born in the most primitive conditions imaginable in southern Sudan and has gone on to live a remarkable life. His teammate with the Philadelphia 76ers, Charles Barkley, once said that Bol had to be the smartest person he ever met to have been able to adapt to such a radically different lifestyle and culture in America. I don't care that his foray into hockey is a publicity stunt, I say more power to him. He should write a book about his life when this is all over.