The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Friday, November 15, 2002

NIPPLE ACTION
So I'm strolling past a clothing store the other day, and notice the mannequins in the window. They're all dressed up in their winter-ish clothing, sweaters and such. Then I noticed something odd: the female mannequin. I could tell it was a female because it had a curvier figure, a flattering bust... and a set of protruding nipples. Like, protruding as in noticable from several yards away, from under what appeared to be a fairly thick sweater.

What's the deal? I'm not a prude, so it's not that I'm offended by such a bold display. But what's the purpose of including nipples on a mannequin? Does it make the clothes look any better? Is it some sort of subliminal sales booster? I'm really curious... for academic reasons only, of course.

This encounter did remind me of that fake-nipple product that came on the scene about a year ago. Prosthetic nipples, for nights when girls just wanna have more fun. They were featured in an episode of Sex and the City, so you know they're hip.

I'm glad I ran into another enquiring mind with thoughts on the nipple issue.