The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, November 18, 2002

HERE, ROCK ROCK ROCK...
too shy to come out
Ah, if only I were born a few years earlier, I too could have known the sublime pleasures of owning and caring for a pet rock. I suppose I could head over to eBay right now and purchase one; but somehow, the irony doesn't fit.

A co-worker of mine mentioned last week that she owned a pet rock in its heyday, and probably still possessed it somewhere in her archives. Lo and behold, she brought the little sucker in today, in its original packaging (which resembled the above photo). Wild stuff. Even had the training and care manual in it.

She thought I was making fun of her in an inter-generational way, and I guess, in my snide manner, I was. But hey, she's the one who blew four bucks (in 1970s money) on a lump of granite. :)