The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, October 16, 2002

MORE CHECKOUT MAGS!
But not all publishers are constantly cutting back! Readers Digest is about to launch a bunch of mini-magazines to be featured at supermarket checkout counters, with topics like recipe guides and such. (Here's another take on this development.) No, it's not much, but hey, it's a sign of expansion for once.

Something bugs me about these little digest-size-and-smaller mags. Everyone notices them at the grocery stores. I'm wondering who ever actually buys some of these things. The Readers Digest clones I can understand, but what about those little credit-card sized things on horoscopes, pet behavior, spirituality and other nonsense subjects? Strictly impulse buys, yet I've never once seen anyone pick on up! I always thought that a neat live webcam location would be in the racks of these magazine-lettes, just to observe who exactly buys them.