The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, October 27, 2002

JEWS AND THE WORLD'S FUNNIEST JOKE
A little while back, researchers in Britain announced that they had determined the world's funniest joke ever, out of over 40,000 in the running. To the dismay of many observers, there was a distinct dearth of Jewish jokes in the mix. Which begs a serious question: are Jews still funny?

Well, okay, it's not a serious question. And not much of a question at all. I don't think the Jews have to worry about a humor deficiency anytime soon. After all, Adam Sandler is still making movies, right?

It was good to hear from Alan King. I liked his "greatest priest, minister and rabbi joke", although I heard a funnier version once:

"A priest, minister and rabbi go into a bar. The bartender looks at them and says, "GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE!!!!"

Hmmm... it's funny, but I think it's much funnier if you and/or the joketeller are drunk.