The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, October 06, 2002

DISAPPEARING FISH
Unbelievable. I went out just this morning to get a little group of rummy-nose tetra for my aquarium (I made room for them by giving my danios to my friend Tom; I wanted to try something different). I bring them home, float the bag, and finally release them. I released three of them into the tank. Now, only half an hour later, one's missing. I see no sign of him at all. Either he's hiding really, really well, or else he's dead (either from somehow jumping out or at the bottom somewhere). I suppose there's a chance he'll turn up later, but I spent about 10 solid minutes looking in every nook and cranny, and I can't find him anywhere. Damn. It's frustrating. Guess I'll just have to get another three to fill out the school of five I'm planning. And hopefully the other two will be alright.

Update: I finally found the missing rummy. He's holed up deep in the plants, apparently hiding. He's not moving around at all, just stuck in the foliage. It could be a bad sign; his brothers look to have adjusted quite well and are swimming around exploring. Maybe he just needs more time to settle in. I'll cross my fingers.