The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, October 31, 2002

COP CAR BILLBOARDS
Those who enjoy watching the continuing creep of advertising into bold new territories will love this one. A company has cooked up a scheme to provide police cars to cities free of charge, in exchange for plastering a bunch of advertising on those cars.

It's a good deal for the cities, I suppose. I'm not sure I see where the conflict would be; it's not like a cop won't haul in a law-breaker just because he paid for some advertising patch on his car.

I just question who would want to buy ad space on a cop car. The bailbondsman market is the likeliest, and along with shyster lawyers and other low-end marketers, probably the only ones who'd bite. So instead of having Microsoft or Kraft as advertisers, it's much more realistic to see Lou's Tattoos and Barney's Pawn Shop. Which in turn will make these cars look pretty tacky.