The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, October 21, 2002

BEST NAME SINCE THE MACON WHOOPEE
menacing
I don't usually go for non-standard team names. Keep it simple, I say: Cougars, Lions, Giants, etc. All perfectly acceptable, to me. That said, I like the name of the East Coast Hockey League's Lexington Men O' War.

According to the press release announcement, the team name is in honor of the late, great Man O' War, one of horseracing's finest steeds. (I wonder, then, why the team mascot isn't a horse??)

By the way, the ECHL is about to expand (the release neglects to mention that the joining teams consist of the soon-to-be-defunct West Coast Hockey League). And with new teams in places like Fresno, California and--believe it or not--Anchorage, Alaska, it's a sure bet that the expanded league will be looking for a new name soon.