The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, August 27, 2002

A DEATH IN THE TANK
I just found the half-eaten remains of one of my fishies. It was a zebra danio, long-finned variety.

I wasn't too surprised to find him dead. He had been visibly getting thinner and more detached from his school for the past couple of weeks, and I figured it was just a matter of time. I was surprised the end came so soon, though. He still looked okay this morning, when I fed them all. Actually, the brand-new danio I bought a couple of days ago was slated to be the old-timer's replacement; could he have recognized this and decided to take it as his cue to exit? lol

Part of the surprise is that I found his remains at all. As I mentioned below, whenever a fish kicks off in that tank, my apple snail tends to locate the remains pretty quickly and wipes them out without a trace. So it must have been a fairly recent death, even though it looks like it had been picked over quite a bit.

Whenever I tell friends and acquaintances that I've lost another fish, I often get reactions like "Oh, how sad" or "What's wrong with the tank that these fish are dying?". But honestly, when you're dealing with little fish like these that are part of schools, it's very much a circle-of-life thing. It's hard to feel too bad for any individual loss there. Now, if my centerpiece rainbow shark or apple snail kicked off, THAT would be a sad occasion.